Monday 26 March 2012

Home news



Home education. January 2012. We're new at this and my house tries to accommodate. The walls grow trees and baskets of eggs, and on one egg Child2 has written, ‘Who invented metal’? Oh, what a lovely child, with a lovely question, taking charge of her education so well, so soon.  While supervised from a distance she decides to find out. On the internet. She is triumphant, finds paper and writes the answer in expansive handwriting for my adoration.


The spelling is correct, the reference included, the paper proudly presented. And I learn . . . that the inventor of metal is . . . Black Sabbath.
Thank you, answers.com. 
 
The trips to the Royal Institution and the Science Museum are planned.  But sometimes I think that first answers are best.
I’m sure I’ll be mentioning the Royal Institution again and their great lecture series for children – they’re not just the major Christmas production you may know (from whose archives I filched the probability machine in support of my topic ‘Sell your Cleverness and Buy Bewilderment’). If you visit, don’t miss seeing the game in the basement, where you can be treated to a rendition of Tom Lehrer’s ditty encompassing all the elements of the periodic table. Ten of these were discovered at the Royal Institution, and I may well have stood on the spot where the Davy lamp was invented.  Having taken the children to visit a coalmine last time I was in Yorkshire, it was a good spot to stand on.

Royal Institution of Great Britain http://www.rigb.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of the space between

“Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns ou...