Monday 26 March 2012

The inevitable


Scene: a (fairly new) Home School Room, February 2012

Child 1: I’ve finished
Me: Really? Oh. Well done, let me see. . . well, that’s going very nicely isn’t it C1, I can see you’ve thought of a theme. Now, this part here says ‘paragraph’ and what you’ve done is a sentence . . .
C1. <witheringly> I know. I don’t want to do a paragraph.
Me: Well, the question is partly to see how well you can continue this story with a paragraph – say three sentences or so . . .
C1. <witheringly> I know. But I don’t want to.
Me: I’d like you to please.
C1: I won’t.
Child 2: Why not C1? You would at school.
C1: This isn’t school.
C2 and Me (in chorus, oh dear): Yes it is.
C2: And Mummy’s your teacher.
C1 to me: You’re NOT the teacher.
Me: Well, I am, C1 and this is school. This really isn’t how you’d behave with your teacher or at school.
C1: I don’t care.


C2 then makes an error in her neat copy of a story she’s been writing, shouts at C1, C1 shouts back . . . how will it all end?


Well, end it did and in the afternoon we all truly did enjoy discussing a presentation on Forces (physical, rather than of personality), and drawing pictures of flying monkeys and C1 being blasted with an air cannon. All of this was based on a Royal Institution lecture we attended that was so good it remained good when selectively reprised by me some days later.

Dr Matt Pritchard, you were a star, on which we can all agree.
Royal Institution of Great Britain http://www.rigb.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of the space between

“Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns ou...