Tuesday 14 August 2012

En coeur age

'I don't know how you've done it,' is a phrase I've heard a lot in the past couple of months, and I'd like to thank anybody who said it to me, because it contained the very heartening subtext that I was doing at least as well as folk whose capabilities I thoroughly respect. I have not kept up to the blog in recent months while I have instead attended to a school move and house move via six weeks without a home, work responsibilities and guest editing Part 2 of the e-O&P edition on Wisdom in Organisations (publication imminent). Apologies to anything I've missed out.

Oh, and a Significant Birthday floated through in the midst of all this. Some people go on a world tour or maybe throw a big party. I walked through gardens, sometimes in the rain, and had a very decent lunch. I was entirely content. I had lovely gifts and thoughtful friends who arranged an impromptu Happy Birthday while hosting my family for an Olympic visit.

So, the 'it' I've been doing seems, on balance, to be a succession of engaging moments and events, and the opportunity to admire my children's navigation of the unfolding world around them.  Put like that, perhaps I shouldn't have needed the encouragement. But, actually, I did. And I will again.

We could take the view that people who seem to be getting along just fine don't need the encouragement, but there wasn't an Olympic athlete who, even at the world-beating top of their game, said any such thing. 

So, we weren't there for the Age of the Enlightenment, but who's for creating the Age of the Encouragement, to see what such a heartening approach could achieve?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Making sense of the space between

“Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns ou...